Tuesday, May 3, 2011

You'll-Never-Miss-The-Meat Cassarole

Hello there, furry friends! This is Sister #3 (a.k.a Amy) and do I have a recipe for you!
If you are anything like me then the day or three before the 'big' grocery shopping trip can mean meager meals made of whatever hasn't been eaten. Mostly, my husband and kids put up with these nights and try to humor me. (Scratch that, my five year old daughter has no problem telling me how tasteless my cooking is)
The solution? Well, creativity and a willingness to experiment have kept my family from starving but until last night when I threw this little gem together, I hadn't quite gotten the standing ovation I deserved.
If you don't believe vegetarian can be full-flavor, I would kindly like to direct you to any Indian-food restaurant to prove to you otherwise. But seeing as curry isn't in my cupboard, I went with a more acceptable Americanized southwest dish and TA-DA! My daughter said loudly, "Mom, I love this!"
I consider that an ovation in itself.
On to the food!

You'llNeverMissTheMeat Cassarole A'La Amy

6-8 corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces

1 can low-sodium corn
(too much sodium = health problems later in life. Accept it now)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
(unless you like the look of tar in your food?)

1 can mild Rotel or
1 small can green chilies (if you hate tomatoes.)
(But honestly, who hates tomatoes?)

1 can cream of chicken soup

6 oz. light sour cream

1 box rice-a-roni Spanish rice (or any flavor variety of your choosing)

*a few ounces of frozen spinach

*a few ounces of pictsweet's seasoning blend

1 cup shredded cheese of choice


Spray down a 13x9 glass pan with some cooking spray and spread the torn tortillas on the bottom.
Cook the rice according to directions, adding the frozen spinach and seasoning blend just before setting it to simmer.
Mix the cream of chicken soup, black beans, corn, rotel, 1/2 cup cheese and sour cream in a large bowl.
Spread rice over the tortillas in the pan then layer the mixture over top the rice. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes and voila!

*As you probably noticed, I say 'a few ounces' of frozen this or that. I like to hide additional vegetables in food to tie up that pesky pyramid and add some serious flavor. The seasoning blend adds alot of flavor so you don't need the whole package. Yay! Some for later! And the spinach in the recipe...you will never know it's there! If I have snuck in an entire bag of frozen spinach throughout two weeks, I consider it a good deal.


Pin It!

No comments: