Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baked French Toast

Oh my...I am excited to share this with you.
So I was browsing through Pinterest and came across a recipe for Baked French Toast.  
It looked so delicious and glancing at the recipe it didn't look difficult at all.  Then at the bottom the blogger had written "adapted from The Pioneer Woman's recipe."  I knew that this had to be heaven because I absolutely love her website and her recipes.  They are simple and very, very good!
Go check out her website here.


So we were having a get together at my sister's house and I decided that this would be the perfect time to try this recipe out - with a group of family member.  Great guinea pigs. :)
We made it the night before and made the topping that morning before putting it in the oven.
I must say, that I may never make regular french toast again...it is THAT GOOD!
The best part for me is that you don't need to put butter or syrup over the top.  Already perfect.
I had to take a picture before it was all gone.  We all loved it (even the kids who were skeptical at first)!
Here is the original recipe link...click here.
Enjoy!

Baked French Toast

French Toast:
1 loaf French Bread or Sourdough Bread
8 Whole Eggs
2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 Cups Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla

Topping:
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1 stick Butter, cold, cut into pieces

Grease 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Tear bread into chunks and evenly distribute in the pan. Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge several hours or overnight.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter pieces and but into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge.
When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture. Bake 1 hour or more for a firmer, less liquid texture. Scoop out individual portions.
Pin It!

No comments: