Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Did you say Banana Frosting?


I work in a small office so when it's someone's birthday on my team, I ask them what kind of cake they would like and then bring it in for them.  So when I asked my boss what kind of cake he would like for his birthday and he told me "Spice cake, with banana frosting!", I had to bite my tongue.  Banana frosting?  Spice Cake WITH banana frosting?  WHAT?!?!  My facial expression must've given me away though because he then explained to me that his grandma used to make it.  I just smiled and told him I would try.  Well believe it or not, it turned out AMAZING.  Seriously amazing.  This just might be my new favorite.

Spice Cake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 pkg white chocolate Jell-O pudding (or vanilla)
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup salted butter, softened until easily spreadable

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.  Whisk dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl.  Mix milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a 2-cup measuring cup.
Beat softened butter into dry ingredients, first on low, then medium, until mixed well together.  The mixture will be very grainy, pebble like.  Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and beat on low until smooth.  Add remaining milk mixture in two stages; beat on medium speed until batter is just smooth.  Pour batter into cake pan.
Bake about 30-40 mins, when a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean.  Let cool for about 5-10 mins and then turn cake onto rack to cool.
Banana Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 banana, just green on the ends (as pictured above) (if you use an overripe banana, it will be too sweet)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter, then add a cup of the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments.  Then add 1/3 of the mashed banana, mix well.  Add another 1/2 cup of sugar, the next 1/3 of banana.  Add the lemon juice and vanilla.  Add the last 1/2 cup of sugar and the last 1/3 of banana.  Mix until it's fluffy and creamy, adding sugar as you need.

Seriously.  Try it.  You just might like it!  :)
Pin It!

No comments: