Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Lasagna

My son recently told me about his love for Lasagna.  I had no idea that it was his favorite food, and so we were at the grocery store I was looking in the freezer section at the pre-made lasagnas and about had a stroke when I saw the prices.  I decided to look around and see how much it would cost to MAKE my own lasagna.

So I bought the stuff needed to make lasagna and sighed with relief at the price.  Less than half the cost of a frozen lasagna.  So I went home and experimented and made a lasagna for dinner.  I went off the recipe on the back of the lasagna noodles, but also detoured and came up with this recipe (I did use jar marinara sauce this time but I recommend trying the homemade recipe below - yummy).  
I must say that it was really good and my husband and son want me to make it again...and again!  I have a feeling that it will be a weekly meal at our house now.



HomemadeLasagna

1 pkg Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
(*Oven Ready Lasagna noodles do not need to be boiled before placing in the oven)
1 jar Marinara Sauce (or homemade – see recipe below)
1 lb Ground Beef, cooked and drained
1 Cup Water
3 Cups Cottage Cheese
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
Lots of Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp Dried Basil

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
-In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, parmasan cheese, eggs and the basil.  Mix well.
-In another bowl, combine the marinara sauce, water andthe ground beef.  Mix well.
-In a 9x13 pan layer your lasagna noodles in the bottomof the pan, overlapping them as you go.
-Spread half of the cheese mixture evenly over thenoodles. 
-Next, spread the mozzarella cheese on top of the cheesemixture.

-Then spread the meat mixture over the mozzarellacheese. 
-Repeat this process (Lasagna noodles, cheese mixture,mozzarella cheese and then the meat mixture)
-Now sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and more parmasan cheese over the top. 
-Wrap tightly with a double layer of foil.  Bake for 60 minutes.


Homemade Marinara Sauce
1 can Stewed Tomatoes
2 cans Tomato Sauce
Spaghetti Seasoning packet
Chili Powder to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Oregeno to taste
Basil to taste
Parsley to taste
Sugar to taste

In a saucepan add the stewed tomatoes and crush them witha potato masher.  Add the tomato sauceand all the seasonings.  Let simmer for20-30 minutes.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I have an Easy Lasagna recipe on my recipe blog. You don't have to buy the No-boil noodles. You can use the cheaper regular noodles. You just have to make sure you add enough liquid and cover tightly. The noodles will cook while it bakes!