Saturday, September 17, 2011

Winner, Winner...PORK dinner?

So I am in a four-family cooking group with some ladies around town and have been enjoying the extra time three days out of the week NOT cooking. Honestly, there is no better feeling than watching the busy day wind down to around four o'clock and not running into that horrid thought, "Oh no, what am I going to cook for dinner tonight?"
Knock. Knock. Knock. "Here's your supper! Enjoy!"
Dinner a'la doorbell.
It. Is. So. Lovely.
BUT I like to cook, don't get me wrong. I enjoy a few hours dawdling in the kitchen, messing up recipes and swearing to myself and my hungry husband that I'll follow the recipe more closely next time.
My point?
The recipe exchanging is one of the biggest perks of this food-group business. I have come across some real nuggets of gold. (And some real nuggets of...well...not everything everyone cooks is going to agree with my family.) It is a risk worth taking, having others cook for you three days of the week. Remember that delectible little frozen Texas treat a few posts back? That'd be a nugget a' gold there. And this one, this be a niiiice little addition to my collection.

Candied Piggy *
*not actual recipe name. (I don't know the actual name. What is it with these ladies not naming their recipes?)
1 pork roast (2-4 lbs)
2 cups salsa of choice
2 cups brown sugar
1 slow cooker

Combine salsa and brown sugar. Place over pork in slow cooker. (Maybe put a bit of water to thin it out a bit.) Cook on low 8-10 hours. Shred with fork and let it simmer for another two hours.
Pair with warmed tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese for succulent pork burritos, or grab some local naan (indian bread) or make it yourself (recipe a few posts back) and pinch it off in fingerfuls with the soft bread.
Seriously delicious sweet pork.
Happy Eating!

-Amy

Pin It!

No comments: